A Very Short List of Rock'n'Roll and Sociology
Backup of following documents in case links fail.
Daniel You-Ren Yang
- Sociology of Rock 'n' Roll
- Bennett, T., Frith, S., Grossberg, L., Shepherd, J., & Turner, G. (Eds.). (2005). Rock and popular music: politics, policies, institutions. Routledge.
- Frith, S. (2001). The Cambridge companion to pop and rock. Cambridge University Press.
- Frith, S. (1998). Performing rites: On the value of popular music. Harvard University Press.
- Frith, S., Goodwin, A., & Grossberg, L. (Eds.). (1993). Sound and Vision: The Music Video Reader. Psychology Press.
- Goodwin, A., & Frith, S. (Eds.). (1990). On record: Rock, pop, and the written word. Routledge.
- Frith, S. (1987). Towards an aesthetic of popular music. Music and society: The politics of composition, performance and reception, 133-49.
- Wicke, P. (1990). Rock music: Culture, aesthetics and sociology. Cambridge University Press.
- Shepherd, J. (2017). Whose Music?: Sociology of Musical Languages. Routledge.
- Shepherd, J, & Devine, K. (Eds.). (2015). The Routledge Reader on the Sociology of Music. Routledge.
- Born, G., Lewis, E., & Straw, W. (Eds.). (2017). Improvisation and social aesthetics. Duke University Press.
- Born, G. (Ed.). (2013). Music, sound and space: Transformations of public and private experience. Cambridge University Press.
- Born, G. (2013). On music and politics: Henry Cow, avant-gardism and its discontents. _ Proceedings of the British Academy_, 185, 55-64.
- Born, G., & Hesmondhalgh, D. (Eds.). (2000). Western music and its others: Difference, representation, and appropriation in music. Univ of California Press.
Howard S. Becker
- Bennett, A., & Peterson, R. A. (Eds.). (2004). Music scenes: local, translocal and virtual. Vanderbilt University Press.
- Jazz Places
- Small, C. (1998). Musicking: The meanings of performing and listening. Wesleyan University Press.
Daniel You-Ren Yang
- Yang, Y. R., & Chang, C. H. (2014). A preliminary exploration of the issue-mobilization oriented concert in Taiwan: The cases of the “Justice for All” and “Music, Life, Under the Tree”. Social Analysis, (8), 117-149.
- Honing, H. (2006). On the growing role of observation, formalization and experimental method in musicology. Empirical Musicology Review, (1).