Notes: 【Skillshare】Social Media Marketing - User Growth & Engagement
Social Media Marketing: Top Tips for Growing Your Followers & Going Viral | Cat Coquillette | Skillshare
Why social media matters?
- Appeal to audience
- Reach new customers
- Engage with followers
- Increase sales
- Drive web traffic
- Boost SEO
- Increase conversion
- Provide social proof
4 Major Social Platforms
Made for photos & video sharing from your phone
- Visual-centric approach: good for brands visually based and rely heavily on aesthetics.
- A good picture is worth of thousand words.
- Relies on visuals
- Smartphone only
- Can’t embed links, extra steps to guide users to your website
- DMs lacking
- Spam bots
- Most users
- Friends & Family
- Embeddable Links
- App plugins
- All-in-one place for your brand
- Favors paid content ($5 to have a post sponsored)
- Organic = Low visibility and low engagement
- B2B does poorly
- Negative feedback can be very visible
- Short & Sweet
- Simple content
- Easy to start a dialogue
- Quick response
- Retweet (when you’re low on content)
- Getting noticed is hard
- Character limit
- Clicks back to your site
- Users BUY
- Referral traffic
- Content has a much longer lifespan (Timeless: on your feed / when ppl search a keyword)
- Niche audience
- Fewer users
- Exclusive content
- 71% women
- Requires image
- Takes a lot of time
- Requires highly on user interaction
The Perfect Post
Content is King
Type of content
- Brand Growth
- Ask Questions (which do you like?)
- Contests / Giveaways
- Facebook: 40-80 words
- Twitter: 280 words
- Instagram: 150 words
- Pinterest: 300 words
Use a short URL
1.5x RTs with quality images
Google the “optimal” size for each platform
Quality > Quantity
Build trust, authenticity, and a following.
Keep it on brand and engaging.
big followers >>> trustworthy
Understand why ppl follow you in the 1st place and dive into it.
Provide an incentive
Give ppl a reason to follow you
Real life related / lifestyle
Share professional advice or opinions
discount codes / insider deal / free shipping offer
Follow relevant accounts
good to see what others are doing or writing in your arena >>> ideas
regularly engage with them, and they might follow you back
blog post with curated suggestions
Be active and engage
99% replies and 1% tweet >>> more exposure
Be personal, Be YOU
genuine content + your own personality
3-15 times a day on Twitter
5-12 times a day on Pinterest
1-2 times a day on Instagram
KNOW YOUR BEST TIMING
Get more Engagement
What is engagement?
Engage fast to get higher impressions
Within the 1st hour after your content published, like and comment your comments, and get to be displayed in your followers’ feed.
- Tag other relevant accounts
- Engage with comments
- Encourage dialogues (i.e. ask a question in your post)
- Best tweets are within 100 characters
- Aligns with Holidays and prep in advance
By using hashtags in your post, you are opening the door for a much wider audience to see what you are posting.
Hashtags help you to expand reach, increase impressions, and grow following.
Broad hashtags: Your content will be competing in a pool with millions of other posts. Your content will be at the top of the list for a very short time before it’s replaced by newer content.
Specific: catching eyes for a longer time.
Build your own hashtag
Follow me on Twitter
Like my work?
Don't forget to support or like, so I know you are with me..